"Unfortunately I think the writing is on the wall," said Dr. Peter Chin-Hong, who specializes in infectious diseases. "Gov. Newsom is studying some of the curfew plans and some of the evidence from some of the European countries. The fact that he is looking at these plans and what has happened in these countries suggests that he is thinking about more austere measures."
Gov. Gavin Newsom said Monday he is studying the efficacy of curfews in other countries to see if such a measure could help California get the spread of COVID-19 under control. The state is seeing cases rise dramatically, prompting the Department of Public Health to move 40 counties backward in reopening tiers.
"I think Gov. Newsom put it best when he said, 'We're pressing an emergency brake.' Basically I think when you reach a certain point, you have no other choice but to press the stop button," said Chin-Hong.
But the doctor has expressed concern that just shutting down businesses -- as the state orders counties to do by changing their reopening tiers -- isn't enough to stop the spread.
"It's like you're taking a sledgehammer to the problem; it's not very fine-tuned," he told the Associated Press. "It doesn't address where a lot of the catalysts are for transmission."
Dr. Chin-Hong says the biggest sources of transmission are multi-factor: indoor social gatherings, pandemic fatigue and traveling.
"We haven't seen increases like this ever in the history of the pandemic so far," he said of the country's concerning COVID-19 spike. Just in California, cases have doubled over the past 10 days. "It was only a matter of time before we saw that increase."
Watch ABC7 News' full interview with Dr. Chin-Hong below, including a rapid-fire Q&A about the forthcoming coronavirus vaccines.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic