The owner of Joe's Barbershop in San Francisco welcomed the buzzing sound of the electric razors as he took his business outside after being closed for six months.
RELATED: SF Mayor London Breed announces new business, school reopening timeline
"Very well-spaced, lots of air flow, so it's great, a nice safe place for a hair cut, yay, ha,ha," expressed owner, Joe Gallagher.
Hair and nail salons, and massage studios were also allowed to reopen outside today.
Everyone must wear a mask and go through a screening process.
"For now this is a step that matters to a lot for people like Joe and the folks who work here and the people who are getting their hair cut," said San Francisco Supervisor Rafael Mandalman.
INTERACTIVE: Here's the reopening status of every Bay Area county
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
Clients showed up early this morning to stand in line waiting to get a haircut. Brandon Stanton was among them.
"I've been waiting months for this moment. I'm been trying to cut my hair at home very unsuccessfully for the past few months," added Stanton.
However, not every barbershop has the outdoor space to open outdoors, and are anxiously awaiting guidance on opening indoors.
VIDEO: 'We need to reopen': San Francisco business owners anxiously wait for plans to reopen indoors
Omar Nazzal, for examples, owns of Old Mission Barber Shop.
Nazzal's shop is nestled in between two restaurants in San Francisco's mission district, where he only has 11 feet of curbside space.
This means only being able to accommodate two chairs outside his storefront.
"It isn't realistic. I have barbers that are behind on rent...barbers that have family members... kids that they have to feed... including myself," Nazzal said. "It's not realistic."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic