"We have each other here. That's all we have," said Michele Quecke, who also has memories of what used to be a quiet, modest life in the Spanish Flat Mobile Home Villa near Lake Berryessa.
BAY AREA FIRE UPDATES: Latest on evacuation orders, road closures here
Only heated, twisted, warped wreckage remain now. The charred metal and ashes in Space 21 are all that remain from 40 year of Michele's life, here.
"I never thought it would happen," Quecke said. "Thought we would go back home. Knew they would save it. Not this time."
When the fire roared through Tuesday night of last week, it came after two days of warnings.
PHOTOS: LNU Lightning Complex Fire ravages Spanish Flats Mobile Home Villa
Residents thought that fire fighters had been doing a good job of holding those flames at bay, until they weren't. At the end, they had half an hour to get out.
"I looked back and saw this mushroom cloud and knew everything was gone," recalled assistant manager Dan Davenport, who went door-to-door while warning people.
By then, "Both sides of the road were on fire," said Kit Ellis.
VIDEO: California fires: Video shows wildfire destruction and smoky orange skies across Bay Area
Out of 59 homes here, three survived. His was one of them.
"Grace of God," Ellis said.
WILDFIRE RESOURCES: Tips for how to help and stay safe during and after a wildfire
Worse yet, most residents here did not have insurance. Not even those who owned their units. The Red Cross says they can remain in this hotel as long as they need. For Michelle and others, that may be awhile.
"I don't know. I don't know," said Michelle. "I'd planned on dying there."
She could have easily. Finally, one other poignant fact. The night that fire destroyed Michele's life? It was her 63rd birthday.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
Get the latest updates and videos on the CZU, LNU and SCU Lightning Complex Fires here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- Bay Area air quality worst in the world as wildfires rage in all but one county
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- How to drive safely during a power outage
- What to do right now to prep for a planned power outage
- Here's how to store electricity before a power outage
- Tips for getting through a long-term power outage
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health