San Francisco-based Molekule has been donating its air purifiers to first responders, schools and animal shelters to help improve the air we're breathing indoors. The company recently made a donation to Happy Campers Preschool in San Carlos.
If you're looking to purchase a portable air purifier for your home or business, ABC7 News Special Correspondent Dr. Alok Patel says a certified HEPA filter will do the trick. HEPA stands for high-efficiency particulate air.
Dr. Patel says a HEPA filter should also be able to filter COVID-19, but he warns coronavirus is mostly spread through person to person transmission. He explains, "If you're sitting next to someone inside a house or bar or restaurant and they cough and they spread those respiratory droplets, or you share a drink with them or you touch a surface after they've coughed on it... the air filtration is not necessarily going to help you."
So air purifiers should help with the smoke, but you'll still need to take your COVID-19 precautions.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Track wildfires across Bay Area with this interactive map
- Here are all the fires burning in the Bay Area right now
- Latest on LNU, CZU and SCU Complex Fire evacuations, road closures
- WATCH: Staggering footage shows lightning storm that started complex fires
- Photos show scope of Bay Area wildfires' devastation
- Track air quality levels in the Bay Area
- How LNU, CZU & SCU Lightning Complex Bay Area fires got their names
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- Camp Fire is deadliest wildfire in California history
- How are wildfires started? A look at the causes of some of the worst in California history
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- VIDEO: How to prepare your pets in case of disaster
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- What's in wildfire smoke? How it can impact your health