RELATED: 'Gratitude and appreciation': Celebrating Mother's Day in midst of a pandemic
Greg Smith and his sister are spending Mother's Day hanging out with their 89-year-old mom Margaret.
The second-floor balcony is as close as Margaret can be these days, she's sending love and hugs from afar.
"I'm sorry we can't be at home but this is a nice place to be," said Margaret Hansen.
RELATED: Mother's Day spending to go up amid COVID-19 pandemic; Here are 3 ways to celebrate in the South Bay
Margaret lives at Byron Park Senior village in Walnut creek where visitors aren't allowed due to COVID-19. Greg says the last time his family was together in the same room was Christmas.
"This is surreal, the thing is we got to be with her which is what counts. We'll look back on it fondly, perhaps," Greg Smith said.
The Concord Police Department tweeted out pictures of Mother's day treats. Flowers, cards and coffee for its working moms on-duty Sunday.
It was mother's day brunch to-go at LB Steaks on Santana Row in San Jose. The staff was happy to be busy, filling phone orders for food, flowers and even chilled champagne.
"We're keeping our doors open and happy to accommodate to do everything we can to serve our community and make Mother's Day special," said manager Serena Harkey.
QUIZ: How much do you know about Mother's Day?
"This is the silver lining," said Susie Greinetz.
The silver lining for Susie Greinetz from San Francisco is being with her husband and two sons while having an improvised brunch of take-out on the closest flat surface they could find on Chestnut Street. It's not perfect but she'll take it.
"We're all together, all healthy and happy, so happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there," Greinetz added.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here. Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- INTERACTIVE TIMELINE: How close was CA to becoming a NY-level crisis?
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- How California's COVID-19 cases stack up against other hot spot states
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- List: Where can I get tested for COVID-19 in the Bay Area?
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Stimulus calculator: How much money should you expect from coronavirus relief bill
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on Asian American community
- WATCH: 'Race & Coronavirus: A Bay Area Conversation' virtual town hall about COVID-19 impact on African American community
- What Bay Area tenants need to know about rent payments, eviction amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions