ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Reports of a natural gas leak inside an Alameda residence Thursday morning appear to be unfounded but firefighters found a different unidentified substance inside, officials said.
A possible gas leak was reported at 10:28 a.m. inside a residence in the area of 700 Central Ave., according to Alameda Fire Capt. Jim Colburn.
PG&E crews responded to the home but did not detect any gas in the air. As a precaution, firefighters asked them to shut the gas off for the home and PG&E crews remain in the area to assist, PG&E spokeswoman Tamar Sarkissian said.
Firefighters found a small amount of a solid unknown substance inside the residence and called in a hazardous materials team to assist them, according to Colburn.
As of about 12:15 p.m., they were still working on making sure the area is safe. Residents have been asked to avoid the area.
HazMat team called in after reports of gas leak inside Alameda home
More TOP STORIES News