1. Wearing a costume makes the experience a whole lot more fun. Since this is a great opportunity to be goofy, the more creative the costume, the better. (Photo by keved/Flickr)
2. Make sure you slather on that sunscreen. Even if Karl the Fog makes an appearance, you're still at risk of getting a pretty impressive sunburn.
3. Have cash on you. It's a long day and you never know when you're going to want snacks!
4. Make sure your phone is fully charged. Nothing is worse than losing power right in the middle of that perfect Bay to Breakers selfie -- or losing contact with your friends! (Photo by kevved/Flickr)
5. Stop and have fun along the way. It's okay if you don't make it all the way to the end -- Bay to Breakers is about the journey, not the race.
6. Hydrate, hydrate and then hydrate again. Make sure you have plenty to drink even after you've had plenty to drink.
7. Have an exit strategy. Things will be chaotic so make sure you've arranged your ride beforehand. (Photo by niallkennedy/Flickr)