Texas woman recovering from burns after nail polish remover ignited fire

A 20-year-old Texas woman is recovering from third-degree burns after her nail polish remover caught fire. (KGO-TV)

If burning a scented candle while you paint your nails is something you enjoy doing, you may want to change that habit.

A 20-year-old Texas woman is recovering from third-degree burns on more than 50 percent of her body after her nail polish remover caught fire.

The fumes from the polish remover ignited, causing a sudden flash fire.

"The fumes actually caught on fire in the air around her and her clothing actually caught on fire," Cy Fair Volunteer Fire Department's Brian Shirley said.

Experts recommend that you are in a well-ventilated area when using nail polish remover and to keep the lid on when it is not in use.

Be careful how you dispose of cotton balls that are saturated with the flammable material.
Related Topics:
nail polishnailsfireu.s. & worldwarningburn injuriesburn preventionTexas
(Copyright ©2018 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.)