Food Network's Sandra Lee speaks from hospital bed after double mastectomy

Sandra Lee attends The 35 Most Powerful People in Media hosted by The Hollywood Reporter at The Four Seasons Restaurant on April 8, 2015, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision for The Hollywood Reporter/AP Images)

Food Network television star Sandra Lee is speaking out from her hospital bed as she recovers from breast cancer surgery after a double mastectomy.

"I didn't expect to be here still on Saturday, but I am glad I am here because the medication is just throwing me for a loop," she said in a video message posted to her Facebook page.


Lee says she's lost about 15 pounds in just the last five days.

She says she's determined to get better and is encouraging all women to get checked.

She posted an update on her Twitter account Wednesday evening.


She also posted a video update on Facebook to her fans.


New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, her boyfriend, says in a statement that Lee's double mastectomy concluded early Tuesday afternoon and that she is doing "as well as can be expected."

The 48-year-old lifestyle personality revealed her diagnosis on ABC's "Good Morning America" last week. Her surgery was initially scheduled for late last week but was delayed after Lee came down with an upper respiratory infection.

In her message posted to Facebook before the operation, Lee thanked those who offered prayers and messages of support.

Cuomo accompanied Lee to the hospital on Tuesday and plans to take some personal time to be with her following the procedure.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Related Topics:
healthbreast cancercancersurgeryentertainmentcelebrityu.s. & worldfoodcooking chefNew York
(Copyright ©2019 WABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)