CONCORD, Calif. (KGO) -- Officers are asking for the public's help after another freeway shooting. This time, a gunman fired at a black Mercedes, injuring a man inside.
The person who was shot was taken to the hospital and is expected to be okay.
Bullet holes cover a black Mercedes after someone opened fire on an East Bay freeway Sunday evening. Two men were inside the car, the driver was hurt. The vehicle was moving when it was peppered with bullets, traveling southbound on Highway 242 in Concord just after 5 p.m.
RELATED: Police work to arrest suspects following 16 Bay Area highway shootings
"One victim had been shot with a non-life threatening injury," said CHP Officer Custodio Lopez.
The pair pulled off to a Valero gas station to get help. Al Gomez works down the street, and says the rash of recent freeway shootings has him on high alert.
"I am more alert, I watch my surroundings and pay more attention to the road but it is a concerning thing. It's happening a lot, too frequently actually," said Gomez.
There have been almost 40 shootings on Bay Area freeways in the past year and half. Now California Highway Patrol officers hope the public can help track down the people responsible.
"We always get there after the fact, but everybody that's out there you guys are our eyes and you guys are our ears we need to get these people out of the streets that are causing these crimes that are doing these crimes that are taking people's lives," said CHP Officer Custodio Lopez.
The investigation shut down southbound lanes of Highway 242 overnight from Highway 4 to Solano Way. It's unknown if this was random or if the men were targeted.
Officers say the shooter could have been in another car, or on foot shooting from the side of the highway.
Anyone who saw or has information about the shooting is urged to call the CHP at (800) 835-5247.
CHP seeks public's help after another East Bay freeway shooting
More TOP STORIES News