MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Crews have successfully repaired a ruptured gas line that was discovered Thursday morning and prompted a brief shelter-in-place order in a Morgan Hill residential area, a PG&E spokeswoman said.
At 8:20 a.m., Morgan Hill police officers responded to a reported gas leak at Tilton Avenue, between Hale Avenue and Old Monterey Road near Central High School. After officered smelled gas, a shelter-in-place order was issued to nearby residents.
PG&E crews stopped the flow of gas about an hour later and advised that the order be lifted. The gas line was fully repaired as of 10:35 a.m., PG&E spokeswoman Tamar Sarkissian said.
Sarkissian said a third-party contractor struck a 1-inch service line while digging and ruptured it.
Contractors are required by state law to call 811 and have utilities inspect digging sites and mark service lines before digging.
But Sarkissian encourages anyone to call a few days before starting a project requiring digging - even if it's installing a fence or planting rose bushes.
Crews repair ruptured gas line in Morgan Hill