Moraga shopping center evacuated after sinkhole causes gas main to rupture

EMBED </>More Videos

Officials evacuated a shopping center filled with hundreds of people after a traffic pole fell into a sinkhole, puncturing a gas line in Moraga Sunday afternoon. (KGO-TV)

Officials evacuated a shopping center after a sinkhole caused a gas main to rupture in Moraga Sunday afternoon.

Moraga police said residents of 60 to 100 homes have been asked to shelter in place as PG&E crews repair the gas main break.

The break occurred at 5 p.m. at Center Street and Rheem Boulevard after a traffic signal pole fell into a sinkhole and ruptured a gas line, Acting Police Chief Jon King said.

About 450 people from nearby businesses were evacuated because of the break, which was producing a strong odor in the area.

Police said customers of the Rheem Theater, 24 Hour Fitness and other businesses in the area have been evacuated.

Related Topics:
gas leaksinkholeevacuationshoppingtheaterMoraga
(Copyright 2018 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. Is prohibited.)