Police standoff sparked by deadly shooting in San Francisco home ends

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A 14-hour standoff with police in San Francisco that was sparked by a fatal shooting ended Monday afternoon.

Police responded to a report of shots fired in the area of 15th and Beaver streets near Corona Heights Park at 11:45 p.m. Sunday.

At the scene, officers found evidence of a shooting and made contact with a male suspect who they believed was armed, Rueca said.

The female victim was taken to a hospital, but later succumbed to her injuries. Sources tell ABC7 the shooting victim was the suspect's mother.

The suspect refused to exit his home, and a standoff between the suspect and police ensued.

Residents in the area were asked to shelter-in-place in the area of 15th Street between Castro Street and Buena Vista Terrace, Rueca said. Some residents were forced to evacuate, so there was an evacuation center set up at McKinley Elementary School at 14th and Castro Streets.

"We opened the door, and it was a police officer in full SWAT gear, you know the whole helmet camera, the whole thing, and it was very strange. I'd never seen anything like that before," evacuated resident Carl Mazer said.

The SWAT team was on hand overnight, and the bomb squad arrived on scene as well.
"We are still in communication with the suspect. We would love for him to come out and surrender; come out of his home with his hands empty, and allow us to conduct our investigation," SFPD Officer Robert Rueca said.

Rueca said the bomb squad was just on scene as a precaution.

"All of these additional resources are here to help with the incident. It's just for precautionary purposes, any resources that we can provide to the incident that can save lives, or keep this from becoming a worse incident, we're gonna have those resources here," Rueca said.

In the end, the suspect was taken from the home after suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound. There was no use of force by the police.

"This clearly is the direction this department is in, it's actually a direction we've been in for some time with the greater emphasis being placed on it in the last couple of years to putting as much time as possible into resolving these matters where there isn't an immediate threat to the public by simply exercising a lot of patience," SFPD Deputy Chief Mikail Ali said.
Copyright © 2021 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.