RELATED: Eviction moratoriums around the Bay Area during coronavirus pandemic: Ordinances city by city
One Millbrae family is reeling from the closure of their foot massage salon and spa, which is not considered an essential business and cannot remain open.
"The rent for the commercial space for the business that's $3,000 to $4,000 a month, a huge amount, as well as my student loans. There's a bunch of expenses catching up and it's hard when you don't have a job," said Diana Zhao.
Cary Gold is with the Eviction Defense Collaborative. She said, "There are people who have said I can scrape together my April rent you know with a little savings, but once I do that then there's no way I can do May rent. "
Coronavirus shelter-in-place: Bay Area public health officials add new restrictions on what people can do
Oakland residents Melvin and Veronica Perry are both unemployed and with an 8year-old and 2-year-old are terrified of what is next.
"It's now a point where you are making a decision between food and learning and development or just paying the rent to appease your landlord," said Perry.
Krista Gulbransen with the Berkeley Property Owners Association said, "Honestly, I think it's a ripple effect for both tenants and landlords. It's a case where one domino falls, like tenants' inability to pay rent, and it goes right into the owners' ability to pay their own expenses. "
Civic leaders are acknowledging the extreme anxiety in their communities and promise relief.
"Don't worry, this is not the last thing that will be done to help families weather the storm. This eviction moratorium is one piece of a much larger puzzle," said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf.
For now, all tenants can do is give their landlord a letter explaining how the impact of COVID-19 is preventing them from paying their rent. Many say the hardest part is not knowing when this is going to end.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area/
- Coronavirus and the new normal of living in the San Francisco-Bay Area -- COVID-19 Diaries
- Happy hour goes virtual as people try to be sociable while social distancing during COVID-19 crisis
- Coronavirus Outbreak: Here's why you should practice 'social distancing'
- DRONEVIEW7: What the Bay Area looks like during the coronavirus shelter-in-place
- ABC7's drive around San Francisco shows empty streets, businesses shuttered
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19