These dogs had been put up for adoption up north, long before the destructive Carr Fire. With the shelter in Anderson becoming too crowded, they were moved. Since last Friday 90
Cats and dogs have been brought to the Animal Rescue Foundation- ARF- in Walnut Creek and to three other nearby shelters.
"These are all animals that were available for adoption and did not have a home to go to and we're hoping to find them homes here in the Bay Area," explained Elena Bicker, executive director of ARF.
BARK! The pets displaced by the Carr Fire have something to tell you
When they arrive, they are tested and given an assessment to check their behavior.
"We do an overall check up, we look at their teeth to see if they need any dental cleaning, check to see if they are spayed or neutered and then we schedule it if they need that," said Jennifer Peabody, also of ARF.
The dogs brought yesterday have been named after A's and Giants players. There was "Posey," a black lab puppy named after Giants Catcher and First baseman, Buster Posey and
Manaea, an Aussie Border Collie named after A's Pitcher Sean Manaea.
"They are getting individual attention. They are away from the smell of smoke which if we can smell it, their sense of smell if so much greater," said Bicker.
Some of these cats and dogs will be up for adoption as early as Wednesday, but you can take a peak tonight on their website here.
Two beautiful dogs now under the care of @ARFtweets in #WalnutCreek. They are the ones that were already up for adoption before the #CARRFIRES. They were moved to the #BayArea and now one of them can be yours. pic.twitter.com/CWsiMSA6Ki— Lyanne Melendez (@LyanneMelendez) July 31, 2018
The dogs brought in to @ARFtweets in Walnut Creek last night from @HavenHumaneSoc in Anderson near the #CARRFire are named after @Athletics or @SFGiants players. Meet “Manaea” @BABYSMGIRAFFE. pic.twitter.com/qMCbQGNJoC— Lyanne Melendez (@LyanneMelendez) July 31, 2018
The dog on the left is named “Crawford” after @bcraw35 and that black lab pup on the right is called “Posey.” You know who he’s named after @BusterPosey. @SFGiants They are up for adoption. @ARFtweets pic.twitter.com/lEhPivOofe— Lyanne Melendez (@LyanneMelendez) July 31, 2018
In response to the devastating wildfires in Shasta County, Tri Counties Bank has created a verified GoFundMe campaign to help those impacted by the fires. Click here if you'd like to help.
Get the latest on the Carr Fire here, the Complex Fire here and the latest on wildfires across California here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- LIST: People missing in Shasta County's Carr Fire
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster