Principal David Finnane from Bayside Martin Luther King Jr. Academy in Marin City gave ABC7 News a tour of the campus and explained new health protocols to keep teachers and students safe amid the ongoing novel coronavirus pandemic.
RELATED: Despite 'widespread' coronavirus transmission, some Marin County schools reopen for in-person instruction
At Bayside MLK Academy, Finnane said 83 students ranging from TK to eighth grade will be back in classrooms by Tuesday. 17 students opted for distance learning.
At ABC7 News at 3 p.m., Finnane gave a walk-through, showing what it's like to enter the campus.
First, teachers will scan a QR code to fill check in and fill out a questionnaire on their health. For students, they will stop by a station to receive hand sanitizer, a mask if they don't have one and to get their temperature checked. The students will also answer questions such as:
"In the last 48 hours have you had any of the following: fever chills, body ache cough?"
"In the last 14 days have you been within six feet of somebody for more than 5 minutes who is or was sick with COVID?"
Lastly, "Are you ready to have a great day at Bayside?"
RELATED: Experts discuss impact of COVID-19 on future of elementary schools, distance learning
Finanne said the first day went "incredible." Although, the younger students needed many reminders to keep their face masks on and above their noses.
The campus floors were taped with shapes and lines to remind students to stay six feet apart for social distancing. Arrows for one-way hallways were also marked.
PE, art and music classes will resume next week, and the teachers will teach from a distance, Finanne said.
If someone tests positive for COVID-19, Finnane said the cohort will shutdown for 14 days and will work closely with the county to conduct contact tracing.
Marin County is currently listed as purple, which is the worst category on the state's 4-tier reopening blueprint, indicating widespread coronavirus transmission.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get aCOVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic