SF officers shoot armed suspect trying to rob cyclist in Mission District

KGO logo
Friday, February 27, 2015
cop car at shooting scene
Thursday evening a San Francisco police officer fatally shot a armed man with knife after he tried to rob a cyclist in the Mission District. (Feb. 26, 2015/ABC7 News)

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Thursday evening, San Francisco police officers fatally shot an armed man with knife after he tried to rob a cyclist in the Mission District.

Around 9:45 p.m., a witness reported seeing a man chasing another man down the block with a knife on Folsom Street between 24th and 25th streets.

San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr said at just about the same time the incident was reported to police, two plainclothes officers were on patrol in the area and drove up on the crime in progress. They saw a Hispanic male, who appeared to be in his 20s, with what is being described as a stainless steel kitchen knife with a long blade at least six-inches long.

The officers found another man sitting about a car-length away from the suspect. The suspect later told officers the suspect was trying to steal his bicycle at knifepoint.

Suhr said, "The officers drew their weapons, demanded for the man to drop his knife, he refused, we have several witnesses that heard this -- two here that we've already spoken to and another six that are being interviewed. At some point in time the officers, as they're only allowed to fire in defense of themselves or others, felt that one of those situations was in play. They fired upon the suspect."

The two plainclothes officers who both fired upon the suspect are considered senior members of the force. Suhr said the officers had their stars visibly affixed to their outer-garments.

The chief went on to say, "Witnesses say that they heard between four and six rounds. We found six casings. So far that appears to be consistent. The suspect was struck, fell to the ground. He did not survive his injuries."

The victim, who did not appear to be injured, reportedly thanked the Mission Station police captain and said, "You guys saved my life."

Suhr said they will hold a town hall meeting about this incident sometime early next week.