Community leaders hold vigil in Bayview for man shot by SFPD

Thursday, December 3, 2015
Community leaders hold vigil, meeting in Bayview about SFPD shooting
EMBED <>More Videos

Thursday evening in the Bayview neighborhood a meeting, vigil and march was held to bring attention to the police shooting of Mario Woods.

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A new video has surfaced, showing San Francisco police shooting and killing a man in the Bayview District. Police say they man had a knife and was advancing on an officer, but community leaders and protestors disagree.

Thursday evening, a large group of people marched through the Bayview, ultimately gathering to hear from community leaders. They've seen the video and they're calling the shooting murder.

VIDEO: Suspect killed in officer-involved shooting in San Francisco's Bayview District

Several hundred people marched in the area where San Francisco police shot and killed 26-year-old Mario Woods of San Francisco on Wednesday.

Protesters screamed at police officers as they arrived at a local church for a community meeting.

Everyone has seen cellphone video of the shooting and most believe the shooting was not justified.

A witness took this cellphone video of the San Francisco police shooting of Mario Woods that happened on Dec. 2, 2015. Warning: This video contains graphic content and strong language

"They terminated his life which was clearly murderous, thoughtless, cruel," said Oakland resident Gerald Smith.

"I would hope the officers involved in the shooting would be brought to justice, but the likelihood of that happening is slim to none," Bayview resident Moshylena Edwards said.

Mario's mother, Gwen Woods, addressed the crowd and asked everyone to remain peaceful. Earlier, she spoke with ABC7 News.

EXCLUSIVE: Mother says San Francisco police 'executed' her son

"I just wish I was there because I swear I would have thrown myself in front of him. I swear because he deserved a chance to be happy... he did," Gwen said as she cried.

Police say Woods was the suspect in a stabbing and was still holding a knife at the time of the shooting. The police chief says he refused to drop the knife, even after officers deployed less than lethal force with a bean bag gun, and that Woods advanced on an officer.

The police department has scheduled a town hall meeting for Friday night.

You can share your thoughts on this story here or on our Facebook page.