The investigation led deputies to an apartment belonging to Steve Crawford, the former Stanford security guard who claimed to have found Perry's dead body back in October 1974.
RELATED: Man kills self as deputies try to serve warrant in brutal 1974 Stanford murder, according to officials
Sheriff Laurie Smith told ABC7 News that Crawford had remained a suspect in the case. Adding her department questioned him on multiple occasions, the last interrogation happened only recently.
"Nothing ever cleared him," Smith said. "There was just not enough evidence to charge him with a crime."
However, technological improvements linked DNA evidence found on Perry's clothes to Crawford.
Thursday morning, sheriff's deputies attempted to serve 72-year-old Crawford with a warrant to collect more evidence. The man shot himself before making direct contact with deputies.
"It comes with great honor to announce that we solved the 43-year-old cold case," Smith said.
RELATED: 'It could have been me' Stanford 1974 graduate reflects on horrific cold case
Ramon Ramirez, a neighbor who heard the morning commotion told ABC7, "Before the gunshot went off, we started seeing we were getting surrounded by the cops and we started seeing the helicopter."
He remained critical of Crawford's actions, both from October 1974 and from the man taking his own life in a complex where Ramirez and his kids live.
"He should've just turned himself in instead of having other people in danger, knowing that he has done what he has done," Ramirez said.
While the sheriff's office said the 43-year-old cold case has come to a close, the investigation into Crawford and any possible connection he might have to other murders is just beginning.
Get the latest on cold cases in the Bay Area and across the country here.
RECENT COLD CASE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- 'It could have been me' Stanford 1974 grad reflects on cold case
- Golden State Killer investigator Paul Holes draws similarities to Stanford cold case
- 40 years later, satanic reference still attached to Stanford murder
- Officialss: Man kills self as deputies try to serve warrant in brutal 1974 Stanford killing
- Stanford homicide made famous campus church a crime scene
- ABC7 Presents: Chasing the Golden State Killer
- Report: San Francisco police identify suspect in 1974-1975 serial killings
- LOOKBACK: 25-year anniversary of brutal Larkspur murder
- Man already in prison charged in Fremont cold case murders of two young women in 1986
- Antioch police say DNA tech helped solve city's oldest open cold case
- The Kristen Modafferi Mystery: 20 years later, private investigators shed light on cold case
- The Kristen Modafferi Mystery: Persons of interest in 20-year-old case speak out