When it comes to car seats, each component must withstand high forces and repeated use in order to keep kids safe during a crash so you don't want to use any cleaners or disinfectants that could compromise any of the seat's components in any way.
So what should you use? To find out what you need refer to your car seat's owner's manual. There you'll find washing and drying instructions that are specific to not only your car seat model but for each of the seat's components.
If you no longer have your manual, many offer an online version or you can get a replacement from the manufacturer's customer service.
RELATED: Coronavirus safety: Consumer Reports' tips to keep car clean from COVID-19
Most manufacturers say it's ok to machine wash and air dry the car seat cover, but you should never put the harness in the washing machine. Instead, follow manufacturer instructions to clean the harness by-hand. Most specify using a mild soap and water mixture. The plastic components can be wiped down with mild soap and water.
If you have already cleaned your car seat incorrectly, reach out to its manufacturer for replacement covers and parts.
So with all of us stuck at home with our kids and not traveling anywhere. It really is the perfect time to clean our child's car seat. And it's also a great opportunity to make sure that your child's car seat still fits them properly. So review the height and weight guidelines and make the appropriate adjustments.
You can visit Consumer Reports for a car seat installation check-list, so you know your child is safe.
Another item you should be careful when cleaning is your bike helmet! Cleaning a helmet with harsh chemicals, like ammonia or bleach, can potentially degrade the materials and possibly its performance.
All Consumer Reports material Copyright 2020 Consumer Reports, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Consumer Reports is a not-for-profit organization which accepts no advertising. It has no commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
For more information visit ConsumerReports.org.
Take a look at all of 7 On Your Side's stories with Consumer Reports here.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirusoutbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- How to maintain learning during school closures
- How coronavirus compares with the flu
- No masks but here are 100+ products that may help protect you against novel coronavirus germs
- Busting COVID-19 coronavirus myths: Facts from the Centers for Disease Control
- Here's a look at some of history's worst pandemics that have killed millions
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19