SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- 49ers running back Carlos Hyde has cleared the concussion protocol and did not appear on the team's first injury report of the 2016 season Thursday.
Hyde, who initially suffered the injury in the third preseason game against the Green Bay Packers and did not appear in the preseason finale, previously passed the baseline and exertion tests but still had to pass the simulated contact drill test as of Wednesday to get full clearance.
Hyde passed that test and was back as a full participant in Thursday's practice after wearing a blue no-contact jersey Wednesday.
Barring any setbacks, Hyde should be ready to go for the Niners' regular-season opener Monday night against the Los Angeles Rams.
Since the injury, San Francisco coach Chip Kelly and offensive coordinator Curtis Modkins maintained that Hyde was on track to be ready to play the Rams. Kelly said before Thursday's practice that he expects both teams to lean heavily on their running backs, with the Rams' Todd Gurley likely a prominent part of their plan.
"Both teams are going to play to their strengths and both have two outstanding backs in Gurley and Hyde," Kelly said.
Hyde said Wednesday he was hoping to have another big season debut on Monday Night Football after rushing for 168 yards and two touchdowns against Minnesota to start the 2015 season. He pointed to some big runs in the preseason, Kelly's up-tempo offense and an improved offensive line as reasons for his optimism.
"Even though it's just been preseason, every game I've had an explosive run, but I'm definitely excited for the regular season to start and see the guys really rolling, us in there the whole game and taking over the game," Hyde said. "I'm really looking forward to that."
Carlos Hyde full participant in Thursday practice for Niners
More TOP STORIES News