"It was crazy," said Gina deLuca, a hairstylist at Salon Hanover, after the announcement was made on Friday for the county to preemptively enter into the new stay-at-home order. "Our phones were blowing up."
She said they opened at 6 a.m. on Saturday and plan to do the same on Sunday, trying to pack in as many clients as possible.
RELATED: San Mateo County holds off on early stay-at-home order as other Bay Area counties tighten restrictions
"We spent all this money on plexiglass and upgrades on the salon. It sucks," she said.
Customer Lena Takahashi was able to secure an appointment on Saturday.
VIDEO: Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
"It's been a little difficult because I've had to cancel a few times because of COVID," she said.
She said she feels bad for the employees, who will suddenly have no income heading into the holidays. But says, she understands why the decision was made.
RELATED: Here's what will close under the Bay Area stay-at-home order
"We have to do something," she said about slowing the spread of the virus. "If this is it, this is it. We can't whine about it too much."
Around the corner at Zebra Tattoo and Piercing, General Manager Sean Delfani said they've extended their hours as well to capitalize on holiday demand.
"The month of December, that's what makes our year," he said.
He posted on their social media that they would be forced to close their tattoo and piercing operations on Sunday. By Saturday morning, customers rushed in.
"We opened at 12. At 10:30 there was a line down the block," he said.
They will be able to keep their retail section open, but by Sunday at 10 p.m. they will not be able to do tattoos or piercings.
Delfani says 40 of his employees will be forced to go back on unemployment.
"The first shutdown was a massive hit to us as a team. It's going to be scary seeing round two of this again."
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Want to get a COVID-19 test in time for the holidays? Here's what you need to know
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic