The South Bay is still in the danger zone, although the East Bay is getting better.
VIDEO: Wildfire smoke turns Bay Area skies dark, murky
The Kippers were relieved when they saw Friday's skies and decided to head out on their morning walk. "We looked out and weren't sure if it was fog or smoke, it wasn't too bad. Sooner the better to get it over with," Alamo resident Bob Kipper said.
They didn't want to wait in case the afternoon looks like it did Thursday - orange and hazy. Julie arrived home at night from a trip and instantly noticed it.
"I flew into it, you could see this big layer of dark, icky looking stuff and that was last night about 7:30, 8...so yeah, it looked pretty ugly," Julie Kipper said.
RELATED: East Bay bathed in smoke-driven smog
"I skipped a bike ride, blew in around noon and it reminded me of my trip to China," said Bob. "That's my scale of measuring air. It was pretty rough."
Friday morning's air may look better but there's still a mix of smoke and fog. That smoke is something you want to avoid if you can.
"Avoid any outdoor activities, especially if you suffer from a respiratory condition or are a child and an elderly person," said Bay Area Air Quality District's Sarah Zahedi.
Area high schools haven't made a decision about football games Friday night.
Get the latest weather updates here and recent stories and videos about the California wildfires here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- What's in wildfire smoke? Here's how it can impact your health
- VIDEO: Cal Fire says massive fire tornado killed fire inspector in Redding
- Procession held for Utah firefighter killed battling Mendocino Complex Fires
- VIDEO: Vacaville police race to evacuate animals from SPCA as Nelson Fire rages nearbys
- VIDEO: Simulation shows how quickly Carr Fire spread in Shasta County
- San Jose State climate scientists gathering data to forecast wildland fire behavior
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster