RELATED: California wildfire smoke makes for hazy skies in parts of Bay Area
With the wildfires burning to the north, many stores including Ace Hardware in Los Gatos, have stocked up on popular items such as air filters and N-95 respirators.
"If it's a repeat of last year, there's not going to be any around, and there's going to be a lot of people out of luck, especially for people who are older or sensitive to smoke," said Justin Rosgen, Ace Hardware manager.
Captain Bill Murphy with the Santa Clara County Fire Department says everyone should create a wildfire action plan that identifies several different escape routes from homes. An emergency kit with documents, medication, and extra clothes is also a necessity.
"When those fires are influenced by any amount of wind they spread very quickly," said Capt. Bill Murphy with the Santa Clara County Fire Department. "When we do issue evacuation warnings or orders, they need to take those seriously, but most importantly, they need to be prepared ahead of time, (so) they're not thinking about what they need to take or bring with them once those notices are issued."
RELATED: California fires prompt air quality advisory for Bay Area
Parts of the Bay Area could experience poor air quality this weekend. Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County Health Officer, says you should stay indoors if you're sensitive to the smoke, and also consider designating what's typically referred to as a "clean room" within your home.
"A room with few windows and few doors, where you could get an air purifier, and just dedicate that room to be your clean air room," said Cody. "Also, pay attention to the air quality both where you are, and where you're planning to go."
Children are especially at risk for health effects from exposure to wildfire smoke and ash, mostly because their lungs are still growing, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
To check the air quality where you live, visit this page.
Get the latest on the Carr Fire here, the Complex Fire here and the latest on wildfires across California here.
RELATED WILDFIRE STORIES & VIDEOS:
- MAPS: Wildfires burning across California
- The latest evacuation orders for Shasta County's Carr Fire, Mendocino County's Complex Fire
- PHOTOS: Massive Carr Fire tears through Shasta County
- How to help Carr Fire victims in Redding and Shasta County, California
- Photos from the wildfires across California
- VIDEO: What it's like to fly over the Carr Fire in a Calif. National Guard plane
- VIDEO: Drive through Carr Fire near Redding reveals apocalyptic scenes
- VIDEO: Firefighters get brief rest in neighbor's yard during 'apocalyptic' Carr Fire in Shasta County
- VIDEO: New look at destruction from Carr Fire in Redding
- Most destructive California wildfires in history
- How to prepare for a wildfire evacuation
- PG&E may cut electricity during high fire danger, are you prepared?
- The difference between containing and controlling a wildfire
- These aircraft are on the front lines of the fight against California wildfires
- Wildfire masks: How to best protect yourself from smoke during a fire
- How wildfire smoke can impact your health
- How to sign up for emergency alerts where you live
- Surviving a long-term power outage
- Safety tips to remember when returning home after wildfire
- DIY: How to make a pet carrier in case of emergency
- How to prepare your pets in case of disaster