As usual, the Twitterverse was vocal. Here's a glimpse into the worldwide conversation:
Prematch: Everyone grab a seatFrom the president to Wayne Rooney, the world was ready to watch:
Two Teddys. One Goal. #IBelieveThatWeWillWin chaaaarrrrrrrge #USA!! pic.twitter.com/GH1gMGUNWl
- Robin Williams (@robinwilliams) July 1, 2014The Klinsmann family bakery in Germany is flying the Red, White and Blue today (via @ussoccer). pic.twitter.com/do8WukJgys
- ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) July 1, 2014Have to admit I'm a USA fan today
- Wayne Rooney (@WayneRooney) July 1, 2014@AlexiLalas LISTENING to ESPN radio on the bridge of my ship in Singapore. Its 4am here. Our TV doesn't work pic.twitter.com/2PXStTJS8m
- William Conroy (@billehcee) July 1, 2014President Obama believes. #LetsWinThisThing #USA https://t.co/lzWxezTyno
- The White House (@WhiteHouse) July 1, 2014First halfEarly on, it was evident Tim Howard was going to play a big role for the United States as Belgium put the pressure on.
Okay! Bad news: US gave up a scoring opportunity after 52 seconds. Good news: Tim Howard.
- Chris Jones (@MySecondEmpire) July 1, 2014My heart just jumped into my throat after seeing Origi's chance for Belgium! #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014After Geoff Cameron received a yellow card in the 18th minute, Clint Dempsey had a good chance (21').
SOMETHING ALMOST HAPPENED
- Tim Siedell (@badbanana) July 1, 2014And the Belgium chances just kept on coming in the first half.
Ahhh, too many good looks for BEL. US can't afford to give them those gaps.
- Julie Foudy (@JulieFoudy) July 1, 2014Our back line has to tighten up and Origi from Belgium is killing us on the counter attack, silly fast.
- Chad Johnson (@ochocinco) July 1, 2014Belgium's skills scary good up close. Probably on tv, too.
- Jeremy Schaap (@JeremySchaap) July 1, 2014#BEL already with their 6th corner of the game #BELvsUSA
- ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) July 1, 2014Another scary moment for the U.S. came in the 32nd minute, as Fabian Johnson left the match with a strained hamstring. DeAndre Yedlin came in.
Ugh. Not Fabian. Big test for Yedlin now.
- Tap In (@TapInGuide) July 1, 2014Darkness. Loss of Fabian Johnson will make victory against Argentina more difficult
- Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers) July 1, 2014Running so hard in such heat those first 2 games took toll on Johnson. You could see him slowing down vs. Germany. Tonight, he broke down.
- Mark Zeigler (@sdutzeigler) July 1, 2014Yedlin showing no fear because really there's no time to show any such fear there's a World Cup happening
- James Tyler (@JamesTylerESPN) July 1, 2014Losing Fabian is a huge loss. I agree with @TaylorTwellman, put Beckerman in, move Cameron to right back to deal with Hazard. #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014And in other news, these Twitter posts happened:
I need a goal in the first half , thank you Belgium!!!!
- Rihanna (@rihanna) July 1, 2014Even though I love me some Jurgen Klinsmann
- Rihanna (@rihanna) July 1, 2014We don't know what to say.
Halftime reactionThe crowd weighed in after a scoreless first half:
Clinging on for dear life yet reaching halftime at 0-0 feels like a VICTORY
- roger bennett (@rogbennett) July 1, 2014Well, the good news is that the game is still a draw. Everything else is pretty much USA bad news and Belgium failing to finish. #halftime
- Andrea Canales (@soccercanales) July 1, 2014Halftime plan is simple: Clone Yedlin, lock Cameron in a soundproof closet, take Jozy out of hyperbaric chamber
- Bill Barnwell (@billbarnwell) July 1, 2014I think the U.S. can relieve pressure by keeping possession in the Belgian end and not feeling the need to attack so quickly. #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014Dangerous 1st half from #BEL but scoreline is all that matters. Early sub hurts Klinsmann because of extra time potential. Origi is a STUD!
- Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman) July 1, 2014Second half: All about Tim HowardHoward continued to wow fans and critics everywhere in the second half; he ruled the comments:
I want to bear hug Tim Howard. #tgfth
- Julie Foudy (@JulieFoudy) July 1, 2014Howard against the world
- Colin Udoh (@ColinUdoh) July 1, 2014Don't know where we would be without Timmy Howard in goal during this tournament. #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014YOU'RE THE MAN, TIM HOWARD.
- Huffington Post (@HuffingtonPost) July 1, 2014Saint Timothy of The Three Posts shouldn't have to bail out #USA so much
- Juan Arango (@JuanG_Arango) July 1, 2014Tim Howard ... *IS* ... The Matrix. Sees the ball in bullet time. #USMNT
- Don Van Natta Jr. (@DVNJr) July 1, 2014TIM. HOWARD. #Whoaaa. #USMNT @ussoccer
- Andre Agassi (@AndreAgassi) July 1, 2014#Howard2016 pic.twitter.com/oHrIu6CCP6
- Good Morning America (@GMA) July 1, 2014Even folks stuck in NHL free-agency coverage weighed in:
No, Ducks aren't signing Tim Howard. But they did ink Jason LaBarbera to a one-year deal. $750K.
- Eric Stephens (@icemancometh) July 1, 2014Props to creativity on the fly ...
Live pictures of Tim Howard - pic.twitter.com/YCT0o3vgte
- World Cup 2014 (@WorldCupPosts) July 1, 2014Tim Howard. So money. pic.twitter.com/vINmrsK5ON
- ESPN (@espn) July 1, 2014Not sure Tim Howard's gloves are regulation size #USA #BEL pic.twitter.com/lK9dI1Z2jU
- General Boles (@GeneralBoles) July 1, 2014Extra time: Things get interestingAfter no goals in 90 minutes, the floodgates (and excitement) opened up in extra time. Belgium struck first with Kevin De Bruyne in the 93rd minute. 1-0 Belgium. Cue the Prince Harry comparisons!
You can't say it wasn't coming. #BEL
- John Molinaro (@JohnMolinaro) July 1, 2014The dam finally bursts. Very well taken by de Bruyne.
- Derek Rae (@RaeComm) July 1, 2014Of course. Prince Harry.
- Sarah Spain (@SarahSpain) July 1, 2014I had no idea prince harry played for Belgium
- nicholasstoller (@nicholasstoller) July 1, 2014Prince Harry crushing dreams. @MenInBlazers pic.twitter.com/p4jPriPyWV
- Steve Hsu (@stevehsu) July 1, 2014It's not over. It's not over yet. I actually think they'll play better now and just go for it. #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014But it seemed over after Romelu Lukaku scored 12 minutes later.
Game over man, game over.
- Dale Johnson (@dalejohnsonESPN) July 1, 2014Crushing. pic.twitter.com/K90TBccNYB
- ESPN (@espn) July 1, 2014Valar Morghulis
- roger bennett (@rogbennett) July 1, 2014Belgiuuuuummm
- Rihanna (@rihanna) July 1, 2014But ... wait!
NOW DO YOU SEE? DO YOU SEE? JULIAN GREEN
- Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers) July 1, 2014BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- Pablo S. Torre (@PabloTorre) July 1, 2014So you're telling me there's a chance.....
- trey wingo (@wingoz) July 1, 2014DOCTOR, THIS MAN HAS A PULSE
- netw3rk (@netw3rk) July 1, 2014Where have the #USA dug this out from? Superb stuff.
- Dale Johnson (@dalejohnsonESPN) July 1, 2014"Do you believe in EQUALIZERS? Yessssssss!" #USMNT
- Don Van Natta Jr. (@DVNJr) July 1, 2014FT: Just not enough; Belgium wins 2-1Despite Julian Green's goal in the 107th minute and a few late chances (most notably Dempsey in the waning minutes), Belgium hung on for the victory. The accolades for the USMNT came flooding in:
Every #USMNT fan (and those on the bandwagon) should be proud of the effort and fight shown here. I promise the world is impressed.
- Chris Fowler (@cbfowler) July 1, 2014Shame. What a game. Mr Howard, you're a hero. #USAvBEL
- Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) July 1, 2014Great job #USA I'm proud of you boys! You put your heart in it!!!
- Rihanna (@rihanna) July 1, 2014Couldn't be prouder of the guys or to be American today. Huge performances by Howard and Gonzalez. #USATilIDie #LandonCenter
- SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) July 1, 2014Instant Classic #BELvsUSA
- Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman) July 1, 2014Where was that wonderful attack the first 105 minutes? But what a finish. The better team was left hanging by its toenails.
- Philip Hersh (@olyphil) July 1, 2014Hey, USA lasted 120 minutes longer than Spain, Italy, England.
- David Waldstein (@DavidWaldstein) July 1, 2014Great tourney @ussoccer. So fun to watch. Thanks for the entertainment.
- Patrick Kane (@88PKane) July 1, 2014Tim Howard made 16 saves, most by any keeper in a #WorldCup game in the last 50 years. #USA
- Paul Carr (@PCarrESPN) July 1, 2014Incredible effort all tourney boys!!! The whole country stands with you #WeBelieve
- Hope Solo (@hopesolo) July 1, 2014Plot Twist: Tim Howard is actually a wizard.
- Professor Snape (@_Snape_) July 1, 2014So much for @ussoccer team to be proud of... Fighters that won over the hearts of America. #thankyou
- Julie Foudy (@JulieFoudy) July 1, 2014Even in agony, We love FOOTBALL #USAUSAUSA
- Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers) July 1, 2014With a heavy heart, I want to thank our men for giving everything you had. Till the bitter end. We love you for representing us with pride!
- Abby Wambach (@AbbyWambach) July 1, 2014Proud of those boys. Left it all out there on the field. No denying American soccer is here to stay!!! #usa
- Stuart Holden (@stuholden) July 1, 2014Well done #USMNT made our country proud #USsoccerOntheRISE #WorldBWarned
- Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) July 1, 2014HEART BREAKER. Proud of how our guys battled at the end. Tim Howard... WOW. #BeastMode #USMNT ��
- Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake) July 1, 2014Thank you to all the great fans that has supported this wonderful team. This is a special group made up of great teammates
- Chris Wondolowski (@ChrisWondo) July 2, 2014Never been more proud to be an American and a #USMNT player. Thank you to the fans for the support. You are the best in the world! #1N1T
- Omar Gonzalez (@Omar4Gonzalez) July 1, 2014Thanks again to all the fans across the country for the incredible support! You guys make it all worth it!! #USA��������
- Jozy Altidore (@JozyAltidore) July 1, 2014I am proud of @ussoccer for a hard-fought effort today and a great #2014worldcup run.
- Bill Clinton (@billclinton) July 1, 2014Proud that our guys, just like our country, never gave up. Tim Howard--most valuable player in the World Cup. #USMNT
- Vice President Biden (@VP) July 1, 2014Very proud of @USSoccer. We'll win it all sooner than the world thinks. #BelieveIt -bo
- The White House (@WhiteHouse) July 1, 2014Two words.. TIM HOWARD #Respect #BelUSA
- Vincent Kompany (@VincentKompany) July 1, 2014And finally ...Despite the loss, Tim Howard's record setting performance was monumental. pic.twitter.com/eaqF2Whkxq
- ESPN (@espn) July 1, 2014
U.S. bow out in valiant fight against Belgium
Late drama in extra time saw the United States' Julian Green pull a goal back, but strikes from Belgium's Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku were enough for a 2-1 win.
WATCH: Howard with a beautiful kick save
United States goalkeeper Tim Howard kept a clean sheet with a heroic save against Belgium.
De Bruyne strikes in extra time
Kevin De Bruyne finished off a pass from teammate Romelu Lukaku to give the Belgians a 1-0 lead over the United States.
Green goal gives United States hope
United States substitute Julian Green has cut the lead with a great run and volley past Belgium goalkeeper, Thibaut Courtois.