Here are the top 10 worst commutes:
1. U.S. Route 101, northbound/Interstate 80, eastbound, p.m. in San Francisco County: From Cesar Chavez Street to Treasure Island Tunnel.
2. Interstate 80, westbound, all day in Alameda & Contra Costa counties: SR-4 to Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.
3. U.S. Route 101, southbound, p.m. in Santa Clara County: Fair Oaks Avenue to Oakland Road/13th Street.
4. Interstate 680, northbound, p.m. in Alameda County: Scott Creek Road to Andrade Road.
5. State Route 4, eastbound, p.m. in Contra Costa County: Morello Avenue to Port Chicago Highway.
6. Interstate 80, eastbound, p.m. in Alameda County: West Grand Avenue to Gilman Street.
7. Interstate 880, southbound, p.m. in Alameda County: Union Street to 29th Avenue.
8. Interstate 280, southbound, p.m. in Santa Clara County: Foothill Expressway to Seventh Street/10th Street/Virginia Street.
9. State Route 24, eastbound, p.m. in Alameda and Contra Costa counties: Interstate 580 to Wilder Road.
10. Interstate 680, northbound, p.m. in Contra Costa County: Sycamore Valley Road to Buskirk Avenue/Oak Park Boulevard.
The Metropolitan Transportation Commission's new data found since 2010, the amount of time the average commuter spends in congestion each weekday has increased by more than 80 percent.
San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo says he won't advocate for lane expansions.
"We can't build lanes fast enough and we certainly don't have the dollars," said Liccardo
Those on the commission are reviewing other options to try to alleviate the traffic congestion like expanding BART, putting in more high-occupancy toll lanes known as hot lanes and possibly creating new bus lanes.
"Maybe look at express bus lanes so the buses aren't sitting in the same traffic as the cars and so people will start saying well I need to move over there," explained Scott Haggerty, Vice Chairman of the Commission.
We heard from commuters on what they would do to ease traffic.
Tamika Alford says start with Lyft and Uber cars. "I would limit the cars that they have in certain cities," she said.
Others said more people should car pool.
"We need to get them to know that somebody they work with is not a bad person and they can't get into the car with them and go ahead and right to work with them too," expressed Haggerty.
For the 4th year in a row U.S. 101, northbound/Interstate 80, eastbound from Cesar Chavez to Treasure Island tunnel is the most congested section of freeway in the Bay Area. pic.twitter.com/iEIU3mxAe5— Lyanne Melendez (@LyanneMelendez) October 24, 2018