We're celebrating members of the transgender community as a part of a special series called "Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be."
Watch the full episode of "Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be" in the video player above or wherever you stream: Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV and Roku.
Learn more about each person featured in the series:
- Filmmaker Lex Kennedy on the invisibility of Black transgender men
- Becoming his true self: Karson Coomes shares his transition journey
- 'I am who I want to be': North Carolina transgender teen Hazel Hart finds herself during COVID-19 pandemic
- Becoming Zayn: Trans man's journey from coming out to fatherhood
- 'Possibilities are limitless': Trans activist Cecilia Chung shares journey from homelessness to policy advocacy
- Logan Pierce helps trans youth find support, joy with mentorship program
- Honey Mahogany: From competing in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' to making history in politics
- How pandemic restrictions gave Kaylee Harris the chance to explore her gender identity
OUR AMERICA: WHO I'M MEANT TO BE - EXTENDING THE CONVERSATION
The transgender people featured in ABC Localish Studios' 8-episode mini-documentary, "Our America: Who I'm Meant to Be," gathered virtually from across the country for a round-table discussion of issues affecting themselves and the trans community. In the discussion, they expand upon their individual stories, discussing their lives and highlighting their shared experiences. The goal is to further transform the national conversation around the negative perceptions of trans people, addressing social issues affecting their well-being, in addition to celebrating their achievements and contributions to society.
The event was hosted by ABC7 Bay Area/KGO-TV anchor Reggie Aqui and hosted and co-produced by transgender activist and award-winning writer Raquel Willis. Panelists include:
- Kaylee Harris from Union, New Jersey, who transitioned during the pandemic
- Sir Lex Kennedy from Hollywood, California, a storyteller
- Logan Pierce from Chicago, Illinois, Program Coordinator for The Potocsnak Family Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine
- Karson Coomes from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a trans activist
- Honey Mahogany from San Francisco, California, Co-Founder of SF's Transgender District and Chair of the San Francisco Democratic County Central Committee
- Hazel Hart from Raleigh, North Carolina, a recent high school graduate
- Zayn Anthony from Fresno, California, Chair of Trans-E-Motion