Sept. 17 marks the first-ever Pet Carbon Monoxide Safety Day!

Sept. 17 marks the first-ever Pet Carbon Monoxide Safety Day!

Kidde is proud to have established this registered pet-focused day in North America.

To kick it off, Sharon Cooksey, Safety Educator for Kidde, and her sidekick Xander Super Puppy were joined by the San Francisco Fire Department share some great tips for keeping our pets safe:

- know your pets normal demeanor and behavioral habits, so you know when something is wrong
- have an escape plan
- the plan should also include a pet care kit in case you have to evacuate

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the "silent killer" because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless and non-irritating. CO comes from appliances in your home not run by electricity - natural gas, gasoline, propane, kerosene, wood burning - which is why it's important to have CO alarms installed throughout your home:



This infographic helps you know the signs of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning:



If you suspect you or your pets have been exposed to CO, leave the area immediately and call 911 to get help.

RELATED: Kidde donates pet oxygen masks to SF and Oakland fire departments

For more information, visit www.kidde.com
Copyright © 2020 KGO-TV. All Rights Reserved.