LARKSPUR, Calif. (KGO) --Hundreds of cyclists may have been exposed to bacterial meningitis in Marin County after a person who took SoulCycle classes died of the illness.
Family members say 48-year-old Sevin Philips passed away this past Saturday morning from the illness. Philips worked as a therapist in San Francisco.
Jeff Wright was a colleague and friend of Philips. "It's a really big loss but my heart is so full," he said.
Up to 300 riders who took classes, or came into contact with the man at SoulCycle Marin may have been exposed. They were notified by a manager, and the county's health and human services department.
Anyone exposed should see a doctor and be treated with an antibiotic. "You hear meningitis, and you're like, uh oh. So, everybody kind of Google's it to see if something could spread to you or what not," SoulCycle rider John Legnitto said.
The risk of infection is low; it's transmitted through coughing, sneezing, and could get on surfaces. The Marin Independent Journal also reports a SoulCycle studio manager contacted riders to let them know about the death and the risk of exposure. The note said the studio and bikes have been deeply cleaned and sterilized.
Public health officer Dr. Matt Willis says this appears to be an isolated case. "They've done a thorough cleaning of the facility and provided information about any clients that might have been sharing the space with our individual," Dr. Willis said.
Bacterial meningitis can spread through saliva, like coughing and sneezing.
He says there's not a lot of evidence it can spread through sweat -- but soul cycle did a deep clean of all rooms and equipment. "They've done a thorough cleaning of the facility and provided information about any clients that might have been sharing the space with our individual," Dr. Willis said.