Obviously Dale Earnhardt Jr. did, as he accidentally left Ryan Newman at the airport on Friday morning after Newman had arranged to hitch a ride to Michigan International Speedway.
Weekend started off on wrong foot. Left @RyanJNewman at the airport. Forgot he was riding with us. Imma pay for this one.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) June 13, 2014I'm hoping and praying that the reason @RyanJNewman isn't responding to my text are because he is at 40,000 feet. Please be at 40,000 feet.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) June 13, 2014Newman had arranged on Tuesday to fly with Earnhardt to Michigan for this weekend's event, leaving at 8:30 a.m. Earnhardt, however, told reporters upon arrival at the track that it totally slipped his mind after his schedule was moved up 30 minutes for media commitments and that he just woke up, got ready, drove to the airport, got on the plane and took off.
"I didn't know about [the change]. I didn't look at my calendar and when I got up this morning, I didn't look at the clock -- I just got in the shower, went downstairs, got in the car and drove to the airport and got in the plane," Earnhardt told reporters. "I forgot about Ryan."
Newman arrived at the airport only to find no Earnhardt, no plane and no ride, with Sprint Cup practice scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
This is the text I received this morning from @RyanJNewman when we were in air, halfway to Michigan. ��#WeOweYouOne pic.twitter.com/Sy2s3WfJqV
- Mike Hoag (@MikeHoag88) June 13, 2014Newman, however, scrambled to make alternate arrangements, as Newman's wife confirmed that he caught a ride instead on Dale Jarrett's plane.
@DaleJr he should be. @DaleJarrett had a plane heading up.
- Krissie Newman (@NewmanKrissie) June 13, 2014The story had a happy ending, as Newman made it to the track in time.
.@QLRacing weekend has officially started @MISpeedway. @ryanjnewman buckles in for 1st practice #NASCAR pic.twitter.com/dR3RRRzl54
- RCR 31 Cup Team (@RCR31RNewman) June 13, 2014"It was just an honest mistake, I think,'' Newman said. "He forgot. I don't think it was by any means on purpose.''
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Dale Jr. Leaves Newman At The Airport
Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks about leaving Ryan Newman at the airport on Friday morning after Newman arranged to get a ride to Michigan International Speedway.