UC Berkeley police were the first to spot /*Phillip Garrido*/ this week on campus.
They are given credit in part for helping break the case -- leading to the rescue of Dugard.
Two officers say Garrido came to the campus with his two young daughters wanting to hold an event to sell a book he wrote. The officers became suspicious at the girls' condition.
"I just got a weird, uneasy feeling," Officer Ally Jacobs said.
Officer Jacobs contacted Garrido's probation officer and that led to the detailed investigation.
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- Garrido investigated in prostitute murders
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Jailhouse interview
- SLIDESHOW: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather