CAJON PASS, Calif. -- After burning more than 31,600 acres in less than 48 hours, the Blue Cut Fire on Thursday continued to burn in the Cajon Pass area as evacuation orders remained in place and hundreds of firefighters continued battling the flames.
PHOTOS: Wildfire burns San Bernardino National Forest hillsides
Overnight Wednesday, crews made water drops on the fast-moving blaze in an effort to increase its 4 percent containment. Estimates of the fire's acreage had previously been put at 30,000 acres, then 25,626 acres, before San Bernardino National Forest officials revised the number to 31,689.
A mandatory evacuation was ordered for all of Wrightwood, but officials said that only half of the community's 4,500 residents had complied.
RELATED: Despite Blue Cut Fire evacuation order, half of Wrightwood staying put
Residents were also ordered to leave the areas of Lytle Creek Canyon, Lone Pine Canyon, Phelan, West Oak Hills and West Cajon Valley, where at least six homes were destroyed by flames.
MORE: Full list of evacuations, road closures, animal shelters and school information
Officials estimated that more than 34,000 homes and nearly 83,000 people were under evacuation orders. As of Thursday morning, authorities could not say how many homes were destroyed in the fire.
About 1,580 firefighters from agencies throughout the region were on the scene, according to Travis Mason of the U.S. Forest Service.
VIDEO: Cross burns in Blue Cut Fire
There were supported by 178 engines, 17 water tenders, 17 helicopters and 12 air tankers, Mason said.
The blaze erupted Tuesday morning above Devore and, fueled by dry brush and fanned by gusty winds, it quickly spread across several thousand acres. Gov. Jerry Brown subsequently issued a state of emergency for San Bernardino County.
For full coverage of the Blue Cut Fire, click here.