President Donald Trump offered an account of the details and timeline related to his decision to call off a planned attack on Iran this week, while setting a new deadline of next week for Iran to strike a deal or face strikes.
During an event showing the construction of the White House ballroom project on Tuesday, the president appeared to suggest that he had been "one hour away" from definitively ordering strikes Iran on Monday before he made the decision to delay the attacks at the request of allies in the region who said there has been progress with Iran peace talks.
"I was an hour away," Trump said on Tuesday. "You're talking about yesterday? We were going to be striking very ... it would have been happening right now. Yeah, it was all done. The boats, the ships are all loaded. They're loaded to the brim, and we're all set to start," Trump said.
But, the president said just moments later that he was "one hour away" from "making the decision" to carry out those strikes.