Iran live updates: Trump says framework of Iran peace deal to be announced shortly

Earlier, Trump said he read a draft of an Iran peace deal.

ABCNews logo
Last updated: Saturday, May 23, 2026 9:50PM GMT
ABC News Live

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

ABCNews logo
May 23, 2026, 9:50 PM GMT

Trump says agreement 'largely negotiated,' includes Strait of Hormuz reopening

President Donald Trump said Saturday that a framework for a peace deal with Iran will be announced shortly and it will include opening the Strait of Hormuz.

In a lengthy social media post, the president said he spoke with several Middle Eastern leaders and "an Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries."

"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," he said.

The post added: "In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened."

-ABC News' Selina Wang

ByAlex Ederson ABCNews logo
May 22, 2026, 1:27 PM GMT

Rubio says Trump expressed 'disappointment' with lack of NATO involvement in Iran war

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that he is hoping to secure a higher level of NATO involvement in the opening of the Strait of Hormuz during the NATO's Foreign Ministers Meetings in Helsingborg, Sweden, on Friday.

He stated that President Trump is disappointed in the NATO alliance for their response to U.S. strikes against Iran, leaving further conversations for NATO country leaders, but said he remains hopeful to find other areas of cooperation between the NATO countries and their allies.

"The president's views, frankly, disappointment at some of our NATO allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East," Rubio said. "They are well documented, that will have to be addressed, that won't be solved or addressed today. That's something for the leaders' level to discuss. In the meantime, there are other areas where we continue with cooperation."

Rubio pointed to President Trump's announcement of deploying 5,000 troops to Poland, something the president has gone back and forth on in recent months.

"You saw the president's announcement last night with regards to Poland and deployment. That said, obviously the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to re-examine where we put troops, and this is not a punitive thing," Rubio said.

ByLauren Peller ABCNews logo
May 22, 2026, 1:25 PM GMT

House GOP leaders pull Iran war powers vote over attendance issues: Sources

House Republicans pulled a vote on an Iran war powers resolution that members were slated to vote on during Thursday evening's vote series -- prompting outrage from Democrats.

The vote was scrapped at the last minute due to attendance issues on the GOP side, according to sources familiar with the matter.

House Rules Committee Ranking Member Rep. Jim McGovern, a Democrat, asked for an explanation as to why the vote was canceled ahead of recess.

"Are we not voting on it because the American people are sick and tired of this illegal war that is costing tens of billions of dollars?" McGovern said on the House floor, as Democrats shouted and yelled in the chamber.

"Gas prices are through the roof. People can't afford their groceries. Is that why you're pulling it?" he said.

All previous war powers efforts in the House have failed, though last week a resolution failed in a close tied vote.

ABCNews logo
May 20, 2026, 9:31 PM GMT

Trump tells U.S. Coast Guard Academy graduates the military may have to 'finish' operations in Iran

President Donald Trump told U.S. Coast Guard Academy graduates that it will soon be clear if the U.S. will sign a deal with Iran or if the military has to go in and finish the job or whether Iran signs a deal.

"We're respected all over the world. You saw that with China just recently. You saw that in Venezuela. You saw that right now in Iran, everything's gone. Their Navy is gone. Their Air Force is gone. Just about everything. The only question is, do we go and finish it up, or are they going to be signing a document? Let's see what happens," Trump said during his commencement speech.

President Donald Trump gestures while on stage for the commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
President Donald Trump gestures while on stage for the commencement address at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., Wednesday, May 20, 2026.

Highlighting the Coast Guard's role in military operations in Iran, Trump touted their actions. Trump told the group that he suspects "more" fighting will come in Iran if the regime doesn't "get smart," and negotiate a peace deal.

"Just two months ago, off the Coast Guard, Malaysia, a highly trained US Coast Guard tactical team helped seize a sanctioned Iranian oil tanker that had been used to transport over a million barrels of oil from Kharg Island into the coffers of Iran," Trump said.

"This is the third sanctioned Iranian vessel the Coast Guard has helped capture since we began the fighting, the real fighting with Iran, and many more to come. I suspect, unless they get smart," he said.