Iran live updates: Trump threatens Iran infrastructure strikes if talks fail

ABCNews logo
Last updated: Monday, March 30, 2026 3:59PM GMT
ABC News Live

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes attack targeting military and government sites, officials said.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was among those killed in Tehran on the first day of strikes, with his son Mojtaba Khamenei later chosen to succeed him. Iran has responded with missile and drone attacks targeting Israel, regional U.S. bases and multiple Gulf nations. Iran is also attempting to block some shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.

Israel is also intensifying its long-running strike campaign against the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia in Lebanon and expanding its ground operations in the south of the country.

Watch special coverage on Nightline, "War with Iran," each night on ABC and streaming on Disney+ and Hulu.

ByBritt Clennett ABCNews logo
Mar 30, 2026, 7:05 PM GMT

Philippines becomes 1st nation to declare energy emergency over Iran war

The Philippines is now the first country to declare a state of emergency in response to the chokehold of oil in the Hormuz Strait. The price of petrol has more than doubled there since the Iran war began last month.

A motorcycle rider enters a gasoline station while a bicycle passes by on Wednesday, March 25, 2026, in Paranaque city, Philippines.
A motorcycle rider enters a gasoline station while a bicycle passes by on Wednesday, March 25, 2026, in Paranaque city, Philippines.

By declaring a "state of national energy emergency," the government can control fuel prices and fast-track imports from other sources.

Authorities say they have around 45 days left of fuel based at normal consumption levels.

ByJoe Simonetti ABCNews logo
Mar 25, 2026, 11:09 AM GMT

Iran spokesperson insists there are no talks with US

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei told the India Today television channel on Wednesday that there are no ongoing talks between the U.S. and Iran.

First responders clean the debris and search for victims at a residential building hit in an overnight strike during the U.S.-Israeli military campaign in Tabriz.
First responders clean the debris and search for victims at a residential building hit in an overnight strike during the U.S.-Israeli military campaign in Tabriz.

"There is no talks or negotiations between Iran and the United States," and there have "not been such negotiations for the past 25 days of the illegal war against Iran," Baghaei said. "No one can trust U.S. diplomacy."

"Our position is very clear," Baghaei said. "Our brave forces are focused on defending Iran's territory and sovereignty."

ByZoe Magee ABCNews logo
Mar 25, 2026, 10:46 AM GMT

Iran says 'non-hostile' vessels can transit Strait of Hormuz

In a letter dated March 22 and sent to the International Maritime Organization, Iran said that "non-hostile vessels" can safely navigate the Strait of Hormuz "in coordination with the Iranian authorities."

Cargo vessel, Ali 25, in the Gulf, near the Strait of Hormuz on March 22, 2026 in northern Ras al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates.
Cargo vessel, Ali 25, in the Gulf, near the Strait of Hormuz on March 22, 2026 in northern Ras al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates.

The IMO circulated the letter on Tuesday.

In the letter, Tehran says that it had "taken necessary and proportionate measures to prevent the aggressors and their supporters from exploiting the Strait of Hormuz to advance hostile operations against Iran." It named the aggressors as the U.S. and Israel.

The IMO is the United Nations body that sets international shipping standards and has been trying to establish a humanitarian corridor for the ships that are running low on supplies to exit through the Strait.

There are thousands of ships stranded in and around the Persian Gulf unable to make the journey through Iranian waters.

ByRachel Scott ABCNews logo
Mar 25, 2026, 12:09 AM GMT

US sent Iran 15-point plan to end the war delivered via Pakistan: Sources

The Trump administration sent a 15-point plan to end the war to Iran that was delivered via Pakistan, two sources familiar with the plan tell ABC News.

The sources said the plan addresses Iran's ballistic missile and nuclear programs as well as maritime routes, but would not provide any other details -- including which Iranian officials were sent the proposal. It is also unclear whether Israel has signed onto the proposal.

Iran continues to insist that no negotiations are underway.

The New York Times was the first to report the proposal.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement, "As President Trump and his negotiators explore this newfound possibility of diplomacy, Operation Epic Fury continues unabated to achieve the military objectives laid out by the commander in chief and the Pentagon."