Mac Miller died of accidental overdose of fentanyl, cocaine and ethanol, Los Angeles County coroner says

ByABC7.com staff via KABC logo
Monday, November 5, 2018
EMBED <>More Videos

A coroner has ruled rapper Mac Miller's death an accidental overdose due to a combination of drugs and alcohol.

LOS ANGELES -- Coroner's officials on Monday released the cause of death of the rapper Mac Miller, who died in September at his home in Studio City.

The 26-year-old hip-hop artist, whose real name was Malcolm James McCormick, "died from mixed drug toxicity (fentanyl, cocaine and ethanol)," according to a statement from the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

RELATED: Mac Miller, platinum hip-hop star, dies in his Studio City home at age of 26

The manner of death was ruled accidental.

McCormick was found unresponsive Sept. 7 at his home in the 11600 block of Valleycrest Drive. He was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency responders.

The Pittsburgh native was in a two-year relationship with Ariana Grande that ended earlier this year.

His music, which often examined his depression and drug use, won him fans among some of the biggest names in hip-hop.

Performers at a tribute concert for him last week included Chance the Rapper, Travis Scott and John Mayer.

IN MEMORIAM: Celebrities and notable figures who have recently passed away

1 of 125
In this Feb. 10, 2012 file photo, actor Max von Sydow poses at the International Film Festival Berlinale, in Berlin. (AP Photo/Gero Breloer, File)
AP Photo/Gero Breloer, File

The Associated Press contributed to this report.