HALF MOON BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Mavericks surf competition is a no-go until further notice, or at least until officials deem the weather conditions consistent enough to put on an "excellent event."
Originally, the world famous contest was slated to start Monday, Dec. 17, but was pushed back due massive waves, partially fueled by a Bay Area storm.
Officials still saw potential for the event later in the week, until now.
Now, the verdict from WSL Big Wave Tour Commissioner Mike Parsons is, "the swell will be dropping through the day on Thursday and we won't have the consistency we need to run an excellent event."
Officials say January tends to be the best time, but it is unclear if they will wait that long to hold the event.
The competition window for this season closes on March 31, 2019.
Here is the full statement from Parsons:
"We will not be running the Mavericks Challenge this week and will wait for more optimum conditions. The wind is good and conditions will be clean, but the swell will be dropping through the day on Thursday and we won't have the consistency we need to run an excellent event. With three months left in the waiting period, we are confident that we'll have better opportunities to run this event this season. January is typically the best month for Mavericks so we'll be watching things closely and hoping for a great finish to the season."
Find more stories and videos on Mavericks.