We asked several people about the challenges of getting tested for coronavirus.
RELATED: Everything you need to know about testing in California
Have you ever felt sick, but struggled to get a COVID test?
"I was wondering if I had to lie to get it," said Melanie Molina, a San Francisco resident who recently tried to get an appointment.
"I felt like everything should count right now, because I want to protect the people I'm around," she said.
Did you feel you needed to meet a quota of symptoms?
"She would have preferred not to have tested me," said Erin Kiekhofer, who recently returned from Palm Springs feeling sick. Kiekhofer said her provider was hesitant to give her a test, questioning specific symptoms.
"She said it was most likely a sinus infection or a cold."
Were you denied by your private provider?
"I just couldn't get tested," said Scott Kagawa, who was denied an appointment from his provider, Kaiser Permanente. "We did not want to expose our elderly parents, in case one of us was asymptomatic."
Dr. David Witt, Kaiser's lead epidemiologist said 'no symptoms, no appointment.'
"We've closed down just in the past few days some asymptomatic testing," said Dr. Witt. "We're only focusing on those with symptoms."
RELATED: Bay Area COVID-19 testing not equally accessible across races, data analysis shows
Kaiser has one testing machine down, leaving the lab's processing capacity down by 4,000 tests, according to Dr. Witt.
The CDC lists 11 possible COVID symptoms online. But, which ones really indicate you should get tested?
"Almost everyone has a fever, shortness of breath, and a cough," Dr. Witt said.
To put it in perspective, 90 percent of COVID positive patients first report a cough. 80 percent report a fever. Dr. Witt said shortness of breath paired with the others usually indicates a person may already have the virus and it's farther along.
"Almost everyone who has COVID has all of those," he said.
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic hereRELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- Watch list: Counties where COVID-19 is getting worse
- MAP: Everything that's open, forced to close in Bay Area
- Everything to know about CA's confusing reopening plan, summer shutdown and what comes next
- From salons to dinner parties:Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- Life after COVID-19: Here's what restaurants, gyms will look like
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay athome orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Experts compare face shield vs. face mask effectiveness
- COVID-19Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic
For more information on all 11 symptoms to look for - click here.