Watch ABC7's Academy of Sciences hour-long special in its entirety here. (This special will also air again Friday, September 26 at 9:00 p.m. on ABC7)
The California Academy of Sciences is home to Steinhart Aquarium, Morrison Planetarium, Kimball Natural History Museum, and worldclass research and education programs-all under one living roof. The new Academy, designed by award-winning architect Renzo Piano, opens to the public on September 27.
Admission to the Academy is: $24.95 for adults; $19.95 for youth ages 12 to 17, Seniors ages 65+ and students with valid ID; $14.95 for children ages 7 to 11; and free for children ages 6 and younger. The Academy is free to the public on the third Wednesday of each month. Admission fees include all exhibits and shows. Hours are 9:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Saturday, and 11:00 am - 5:00 pm on Sunday. The Academy is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
For more information, visit www.calacademy.org or call (415) 379-8000.
Recommended Web sites and books:
- California Academy of Sciences -- www.calacademy.org -- no gardening tips, but plenty of info about the new building and living roof.
- The following books are also worthwhile:
- California Native Plants for the Garden by Carol Bornstein, David Fross, and Bart O'Brien (2005)
- Plants and Landscapes for Summer Dry Climates of the SF Bay Region by East Bay Municipal Utility District
- Sunset Western Garden Book by Kathleen Norris Brenzel
- Gardening with a Wild Heart: Restoring California's Native Landscapes at Home by Judith L. Lowry.