MOST POPULAR: Video, stories and more
SIGN-UP: Get breaking news sent to you from ABC7
"Obviously they're aware this is a big issue, and a big story," attorney McGregor Scott said.
Scott has visited with /*Jaycee Dugard*/ and her two daughters on two separate occasions for many hours.
"I was very pleasantly surprised candidly when I met with them for the first time, how well they seem to be doing and even more encouraging, the second time I met with them, I saw progress in terms of the development of their personalities, their self-confidence all the things we hope to see going forward," Scott said.
Scott says Dugard has "competing" emotions about /*Phillip Garrido*/, his wife Nancy and the life she lived with them for the past two decades.
"This is a world that she has known for the past 18 years, a period of time which far exceeds more than half of her life," Scott said. "She's had children in that environment, so really it's what she has known. On the other side, there's no question that she knows that terrible and wrong things were done to her and that the people who did those things must be held accountable. "
Scott would not reveal where Dugard and her two daughters are staying, but he described how the family's focus now is on reconnecting.
"To watch the interaction between Jaycee and her mother after 18 years, it's just phenomenal," Scott said.
Scott says Dugard's two daughters are getting tutoring and medical care and the whole family is undergoing psychological counseling.
Dugard realizes that one day she will likely see the Garridos again in court.
"If the case does go to trial, which is an 'if,' you never know, she understands and appreciates that she will testify," Scott said.
- PHOTOS: Inside the Garrido home
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Dugard case
- RAW VIDEO: Witness talks about Michaela Garecht kidnapping
- Garrido's 1976 Reno rape police report (88 pages)
- Phillip Garrido's criminal history timeline (2 pages)
- LINK: FBI podcast about solving Dugard's case
- PHOTOS: Jaycee Lee Dugard's daughters
- RAW VIDEO: UC Berkeley press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Garridos in court
- AUDIO: Phillip Garrido Jailhouse interview
- RAW VIDEO: Contra Costa Co. Sheriff's Dept. press conference
- RAW VIDEO: El Dorado County press conference
- RAW VIDEO: Dept. of Corrections press conference
- ABC7 EXTRA: Reaction from Dugard's stepfather
- Massive search at Garrido home ends
- Investigators dig for clues at Phillip Garrido's property
- Cadaver dogs point to spot on Garrido property
- Sole witness recalls Michaela Garecht kidnapping 20 years later
- Garrido home searched in separate high-profile abductions
- Jaycee's aunt: "We laughed and cried together"
- Police believe Garrido kidnapped girl in 1972
- Old police records foreshadow kidnappings
- Garrido's 1976 rape victim talks to GMA
- Abduction invokes saga of Elizabeth Smart
- 29 charges filed against kidnapping suspects
- Garrido's father: "He's absolutely out of his mind"
- UC Berkeley police broke Dugard case
- Tahoe girl kidnapped in 1991 found alive
Jaycee Dugard Trust Fund
Checks only to:
Jaycee Dugard Trust Fund
c/o View Tech
P.O. Box 596
Atwood, CA 92811
Mailing address (for cards and letters)
c/o McGregor Scott, Esq.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe
400 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
Today's latest headlines | ABC7 News on your phone
Follow us on Twitter | Fan us on Facebook | Get our free widget