Unlocking the doors for the first time in months, hotel management and staff hosted a celebration featuring a ribbon cutting ceremony, a champagne saber display and a singalong of "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" at the "dressed" and masked Tony Bennett statue.
RELATED: San Francisco honors legendary singer Tony Bennett with statue
The Fairmont is famous for being the first place Bennett ever sang the tune.
Social distancing was enforced during the ceremony and signage with COVID-19 protocols had been placed throughout the lobby.
RELATED: Legendary singer Tony Bennett performs in SF for his 90th birthday
The Fairmont had been closed since July 24 due to the COVID-19 pandemic before Thursday's festivities.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the story in a new window
COVID-19 RISK CALCULATOR: Quiz yourself on the safest, most dangerous things you can do as California reopens
If you have a question or comment about the coronavirus pandemic, submit yours via the form below or here.
Get the latest news, information and videos about the novel coronavirus pandemic here
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic