HIALEAH, Fla. (KGO) -- Parents in Florida rushed to save their children after the pool they were swimming in became electrically charged.
Surveillance video released by Hialeah police is giving residents a better picture of what happened at an apartment complex last month.
It started out as a typical Sunday afternoon at the pool. A 10-year-old boy and two girls were playing in the water while parents and grandparents were supervising nearby.
The video shows a little girl touch the hand railing. She was shocked immediately. Her father quickly reacted, getting shocked himself as he pulled her out. Her body appeared lifeless.
As the pool emptied out, one child was still attached to the railing, unable to move.
That's when the girl's grandfather ran to the water. As he reached for his granddaughter he also felt the charge, which caused him to fall back as he was pulling her out of the pool. Officials say his quick reaction may have saved her life.
All three kids survived.
Thus far, a preliminary investigation has pointed to unconnected ground wires in the pool pump house. The wires are supposed to take electrical charges to the ground, away from the pool.
Experts say there are ways to spot this silent killer. If you see any stainless steel surfaces corroded near the pool, turn off the electricity and contact an electrician.