Returning as a church community was an emotional moment for many.
Organ music echoed through the rafters of the cathedral, but this time, there were people in the pews to listen.
RELATED: California lifting capacity limits at churches after legal rulings
"It feels a little like a reunion, right? It's getting back to normal," said Grace parishioner Regina Walton.
Walton was welcoming members back.
Indoor, in-person worship is back, 14 months after Grace was forced to close its doors due to the pandemic.
VIDEO: Mt. Davidson cross lights up San Francisco for 98th Easter
We spoke to Valerie Crane Dorfman in 2020 as she watched a live stream of Grace's Easter service from home. For her, being back inside the cathedral Sunday was beyond spiritual.
"I'm excited, emotional and close to tears, I feel the energy, it's beautiful," said Dorfman.
Bishop Marc Andrus got emotional, thanking members for staying home during the height of the pandemic.
"You have kept each other and your neighbors safe, you have literally saved lives," said Bishop Andrus.
RELATED: CA to remove all capacity limits, physical distancing requirements starting June 15
The service was still live-streamed for those not yet comfortable with returning. But for those who came, face masks and social distancing were required.
Advanced reservations were also required, as only 200 people are allowed inside the cathedral, which can normally seat 2,000.
Grace has now had to close its doors, twice. The first was in 1918 during the Spanish Flu, and twice they've reopened.
"Its a great celebration of the end of COVID I think," said Stephen Bensch from Berkeley.
For many, it was a homecoming on Nob Hill.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic