LIVE UPDATES: Tracking all the latest developments in the novel coronavirus outbreak
At one of the city's most busy intersections, California and Kearny Streets, DRONEVIEW7 flew over empty streets, normally crowded with thousands of workers. Most are staying home to fend off the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
Just up the street, where cable cars usually welcome throngs of tourist to the oldest Chinatown in the United States, there bells have gone silent and the streets are empty.
CORONAVIRUS: Everything you need to know about San Francisco Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
At Fisherman's Wharf, there are no crabs being cooked curbside, the sidewalks and streets are empty, the air filled with the sounds of the popular seals, not the throngs of tourists who usually flood the streets and parking lots.
Pier 39, the other big waterfront attraction is fenced off. It closed Monday, after six Bay Area counties, and the City of Berkeley announced a shelter-in-place order in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic. Starting at midnight on Tuesday all residents were ordered to remain in their homes except for essential needs.
Essential government services will remain open, such as transit, police, fire, and healthcare services, as well as essential stores like grocery markets, pharmacies, banks, and gas stations. Restaurants will be limited to take-out and delivery only; bars, gyms, and non-essential stores to close.
Go here for the latest news, information and videos about the coronavirus.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live updates about coronavirus outbreak in US, around the world
- Everything you need to know about the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order
- Bay Area cancelations, closures related to COVID-19
- Symptoms, prevention, and how to prepare for a COVID-19 outbreak in the US
- List of stores, companies closing due to coronavirus pandemic
- Canceled late fees, free services available amid COVID-19 crisis
- Here's how you can help during COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus in CA: Get resources and information about COVID-19
- Bay Area school closures related to coronavirus pandemic
- Asian community fighting racism, xenophobia, bigotry as world fights COVID-19