"As more supply became more available in our county, we started finding ways to support other healthcare providers to help augment the county's current vaccination efforts," Anh Tran, the city's Vaccination Task Force Director told ABC7 News.
VACCINE TRACKER: Here's how CA is doing, when you can get a coronavirus vaccine
Tran explained the city has been able to partner with providers like Safeway and others to focus on where there are disparities.
ABC7 News was there on April 16, when San Jose City Hall hosted a vaccination event in partnership with the Federally Qualified Health Center AACI (Asian Americans for Community Involvement), local nursing students, and San José Fire Department personnel to administer 540 Moderna vaccines to community members. The focus then was to target the city's unhoused residents.
VIDEO: South Bay launches separate mobile vaccine efforts to reach housebound residents
"I think the biggest challenge for vaccinating the unhoused community is that the two-dose system requires a lot of engagement and outreach and education ahead of time. Building that trust so that we can get people to the vaccination sites, building vaccination acceptance and confidence," Tran continued. "Then also, now that we've done the first event at City Hall, we're gearing up with our partners to do more engagement, more outreach. So that we can get the same individuals back for their second dose."
"These opportunities connect our high-risk and most vulnerable San Joséan's with life-saving vaccines and other meaningful resources," said Mayor Sam Liccardo. "I'm grateful to Asian Americans for Community Involvement, the County and our other community partners for joining San José in our fight against COVID-19."
To volunteer to canvass or provide event support, click here.
Having trouble loading the tracker above? Click here to open it in a new window.
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map shows which counties can, can't reopen under reopening tiers
- Cheat sheet: What you can and can't do after being fully vaccinated
- How to register for a COVID-19 vaccine in every Bay Area county
- Map shows everywhere you can get a COVID-19 test in the Bay Area
- Interactive map shows what's closed and what's reopening in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Data tracker: Coronavirus cases, deaths, hospitalizations in every Bay Area county
- Third stimulus check calculator: See how much you could get
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during pandemic
- Get the latest updates on California EDD, stimulus checks, unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic