SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- So how did this go down so quickly this time? ABC7 Sports director Larry Beil explains why the 49ers handled this allegation very differently.
This time, there was no vigorous defense or any talk of due process. It took the 49ers less than one hour to decide to cut Ray McDonald after the new allegation of sexual assault came to their attention Wednesday morning.
McDonald was not charged in the previous case, but it took months of investigating and the 49ers left themselves open to criticism for not suspending McDonald immediately upon hearing the first accusation.
In a climate where the NFL has made it clear that any kind of violence against women will not be tolerated, this time the 49ers acted quickly and released McDonald, who had been with the 49ers for eight seasons.
"Not angry. I understand the situation. I understand why the team did what they did. Outside that, it's really not my business," 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said.
"We had that meeting with the whole staff a couple of weeks ago and I feel like Jed made it pretty clear about how he feels about everything and you've got to go with what the owner says. It's his team obviously and everyone knows what's right and wrong," 49ers linebacker Dan Skuta said.
McDonald had started all 14 games for the 49ers this season. The 49ers will host the San Diego Chargers on Saturday night.
McDonald was under contract through the 2015 season and seemed to play better once the initial allegations were dropped. At this point, it's hard to imagine any NFL teams willing to sign McDonald going forward.
Why was McDonald let go so fast?