Apple store evacuated after delivered package sickens employees

In this Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2011 file photo and Apple logo is seen during an announcement at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma, file)

Monterey firefighters have evacuated a portion of a shopping center Tuesday afternoon after employees at an Apple electronics store said they felt sick after receiving a package with an unknown substance, the city's fire chief said.

Employees at the store in the Del Monte Shopping Center called 911 at 12:25 p.m. after some employees began feeling dizzy and nauseous after handling a package that was delivered to the store, according to Monterey Fire Chief Gaudenz Panholzer.

When emergency crews arrived at the scene, located at 1410 Del Monte Center, they transported four people to a hospital. Eight others were evaluated at the scene, Panholzer said.

Firefighters and the Monterey County regional hazardous materials team evacuated three stores, including the Apple store, as well as an outdoor eating area, according to Panholzer.

After an initial investigation, fire and hazmat officials determined the package was contaminated in transit when an unknown substance most likely leaked onto the package's exterior, Panholzer said.

As of 2:40 p.m., the three stores and outdoor patio were still evacuated and fire and hazmat crews are still investigating the incident, according to Panholzer.

Related Topics:
applesuspicious packagegas fumes
(Copyright 2017 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. Is prohibited.)

Load Comments