HazMat team called in after reports of gas leak inside Alameda home

Firefighters on the scene of a reported gas leak in Alameda, Calif. on Thursday February 16, 2017. (KGO-TV)

Reports of a natural gas leak inside an Alameda residence Thursday morning appear to be unfounded but firefighters found a different unidentified substance inside, officials said.

A possible gas leak was reported at 10:28 a.m. inside a residence in the area of 700 Central Ave., according to Alameda Fire Capt. Jim Colburn.

PG&E crews responded to the home but did not detect any gas in the air. As a precaution, firefighters asked them to shut the gas off for the home and PG&E crews remain in the area to assist, PG&E spokeswoman Tamar Sarkissian said.

Firefighters found a small amount of a solid unknown substance inside the residence and called in a hazardous materials team to assist them, according to Colburn.

As of about 12:15 p.m., they were still working on making sure the area is safe. Residents have been asked to avoid the area.

Related Topics:
gas leakfirefightersevacuationhazmatAlameda
(Copyright 2017 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. Is prohibited.)

Load Comments