HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. --Huntington Beach police arrested a 16-year-old male suspect they say made credible threats of violence ahead of the U.S. Open of Surfing.
The teen, who is from Huntington Beach, made the threats on social media Thursday, police said. A search warrant was served at his home Friday. A shotgun and a handgun that the teen had access to were found, police said. He was booked for making terrorist threats.
Huntington Beach is taking no chances with this year's U.S. Open of Surfing after the riots that erupted last year. Police presence will be increased at this year's event, even adding officers on horseback.
Officials say about 500,000 people were expected to attend the nine-day event, which kicked off at 8 a.m. Saturday.
So far police believe the 16-year-old suspect acted alone. The investigation is ongoing, police said.