"I'm praying we can survive through next year," said Diana Days.
Days is still serving her loyal customers outdoors at café Buenos Aries in Berkeley. Rain and cold weather is moving in, she'd like to seat everyone inside.
RELATED: How safe are those outdoor dining igloos and tents when it comes to COVID-19 transmission?
"I was planning on going to buy a couple of tables, now we're in the second wave," said Days.
She is allowed to seat customers indoors at limited capacity but that could all change soon.
Alameda County Interim Health officer Dr. Nicholas Moss says COVID-19 case rates have doubled since early October.
RELATED: Gov. Newsom says he shouldn't have attended birthday party at French Laundry amid COVID-19 surge
"We were down between 50-60 people hospitalized, now we're at 70 hospitalized with COVID," said Moss.
Moss expects those numbers to rise. It's one reason the county is pausing reopenings for now. It could force the closure of indoor dining if the state moves Alameda County from Orange tier to Red or even Purple in the next few weeks.
"The very first thing we would look at is where people are taking off mask and eating," Moss added.
Outdoor restaurant parklets may be the only option heading into the holidays but it's no time to let your COVID guard down.
"I think so many people have gone for so many months and nothing's happened to them, they're feeling invincible," said Oakland resident Dick Nishimoto.
Movie theaters are still operating at limited capacity but Oakland's Grand Lake Theater owner Allen Michaan won't re-open until it's safe.
"We all want go back to normal, I want to see crowds at my theater and restaurants, but at this point it's wait and see," said Michaan.
Health officials say help stop the spread. Social distance, wash and sanitize your hands, and keep wearing your mask.
Take a look at the latest stories and videos about the coronavirus here.
App users: For a better experience, click here to view the full map in a new window
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Map: CA counties that can, can't reopen under new rules
- COVID-19 risk calculator: The safest and most dangerous things to do this holiday season
- Updated number of COVID-19 deaths, cases in Bay Area
- COVID-19 Help: Comprehensive list of resources, information
- California EDD: The most commonly asked questions we get about unemployment and PUA
- Health experts urge flu shots in effort to avoid 'twindemic'
- How to tell the difference between seasonal allergies and coronavirus symptoms
- Here's which mask is better to protect from COVID-19
- First COVID-19 vaccine volunteers in US describe experience as Bay Area launches vaccine trials
- From salons to dinner parties: Experts rate the risk of 12 activities
- Coronavirus origin: Where did COVID-19 come from?
- What is a COVID-19 genetic, antigen and antibody test?
- What will it take to get a COVID-19 vaccine and how will it be made?
- What does COVID-19 do to your body and why does it spread so easily?
- Here's how shelter in place, stay at home orders can slow spread of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Timeline: Tracking major moments of COVID-19 pandemic in San Francisco Bay Area
- COVID-19 Diaries: Personal stories of Bay Area residents during novel coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus Doctor's Note: Dr. Alok Patel gives his insight into COVID-19 pandemic